Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The Adventure Continues

Hi, again, from Second Life. This place is a bit glitchy but it does have lots of possibilities. Today I've been fussing over getting my APA based assignment done correctly. Our team is working on a contract. I am hoping we can agree on it and turn it in ASAP. I am also looking for an e-mail that should tell us more about our team experience in Second Life for Thursday.

In doing reading for our APA assignment I came across two articles I especially liked. I will post links to them here. The first is by Australian James C. Taylor at the University of Southern Queensland. He suggests that practice is leading theory when it comes to using technology in the classroom. The second article is a research paper that challenges the idea that today's teens are smarter than previous generations and use technology intuitively because they've grown up surrounded by it. I am interested in these papers because I hear statements about kids being digital natives and some how smarter or superior to the rest of us and I question that. I'm not saying we don't need to teach differently, but some of the assumptions people have been making provoke me to see more proof that it is so.

Check these articles out and see what you think.
http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:-LvS_coPsbMJ:www.usq.edu.au/users/taylorj/publications_presentations/2

http://www.ascilite.org.au/ajet/ajet24/kennedy.html

No comments:

Post a Comment