Friday, July 16, 2010

Second Life


Hello from Second Life! Zoe and I spent some time today acclimating ourselves to the site. I actually got my account 2 years ago after attending one of many tech workshops, but after initially spending hours exploring the site and figuring a few things out, I lost interest.  I couldn't get the videos to play on some of the sites set up by various colleges and it was not much fun visiting medieval villages and gardens and such without a friend along to talk to. 

Zoe and I finally ended up at EdTech Island. This place is great, partly because it isn't crowded with new people. I can talk to Zoe there without strangers walking up and trying to start conversations. I am interested to see Dr. Wyly's house next week.

Earlier I had some ideas for using Second Life in my classroom, but one of the hindrances is the amount of time it takes to create things and the learning curve for figuring out how to create an environment. I wanted to make a place my history students could visit, but I can see it will take countless hours to learn how to create such a place.

Anyway, here is a picture of my Avatar in Second Life!  Maybe some of the others will know stuff and will be able to help me master some of the intricacies of this site.

No comments:

Post a Comment