Thursday, July 30, 2009

Thing 13 Geocaching

This was pretty cool. It would help my students really understand what GPS is and how coordinates pertaining to location work. We study this somewhat in Geography class, but a few always seem a little disconnected when we talk about latitude and longitude. Never assume anything...I've had some who didn't know what GPS was, and as tech savy as we assume our students are, I was really surprised by that.

I'd have to give some thought to how to best use this in class. I like the idea of walking down to the park and putting our own geocache there. I also like the idea of mashing this with Google earth. I need to try out a few things of my own and figure out what I want students to get out of it and how to evaluate them when we are done. Hmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment