Thursday, July 30, 2009

Thing 17 Social Networking

Ning was pretty cool. I joined the Web 2.0 group, then I joined the beginner's group in that. I can see this as a way of gleaning good input from lots of other teachers. Last year I tried launching my own web page because I feel really isolated working with the Alternative high school students. I wanted to be able to interact with other teachers. Our staff is very small, and we rarely have time to have deep discussions or share ideas.

My web page floundered, however, because once school starts I don't have a life. Also, I was teaching 2 nights per week, and from Sept. to Dec. I was taking classes at KVCC two other nights a week. It was too much (although I did well in my classes :-)

Now, as a result of these workshops, I see I can use Ning and other resources to do excactly what I wanted to do, and it's free. I really like collaborating with others and need other people around!

I look forward to sharing many of these resources and skills with the other full-time teacher in our program.

As for the kids...I'm sure this will be of value. I am certainly going to teach a lot of these skills in my CRT class. I need to think about how to meaningfully use them in my other classes. After all, I have 6 computers. Not exactly one-to-one. I can take 2nd hour to the lab, but 4th hour there's always a class in there, so it isn't easy. I'll have to do some brainstorming on that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment