Sunday, October 17, 2010

PE_3 Google SketchUp Progress

Using simple rectangle tools, I created a simple house. I found that making a peaked roof was a little harder than I thought it would be. The Push/Pull tool was helpful, though, in getting some basic features on the building, like windows and doors.

 I wish I had more time for this third entry. What I did, though, was discover how to add textures and colors to my model.

Keeping track of things while using the free draw tool was a little trickier. As one who had not actually done anything with a 3-D application, I had the idea about what I was supposed to do, but lack experience in "seeing" where the planes are in the drawing.
 So, I have a rather odd roof on my first project. I was able to add blinds to the windows and a wooden texture to the doors, but I didn't have time to play with adding details, like door knobs and such.
It was cool, though, to find the metal textures, and those for asphalt and building coverings. There are also textures for vegetation, which I would like to try as I explore how the tools work.


I think that if a person such as myself with no drafting experience can, in a few hours, begin to create simple buildings, my students (especially the ones who like art) should be able to do even more. Many of them will be really excited about Google SketchUp and will put time in on their own to perfect their skills with this 3-D application.  I can see replicating an old western town, scenes from ancient Greece, historically significant locations and buildings (how about the Appomattox Court House?), and other sites. How about even creating a fantasy location? I wonder if these skills could help later in creating some sort of interactive game for use in one of my history classes?

I wish I had more time to explore Google SketchUp before sharing more about it. You can be sure I am going to figure out more about how to navigate this software, and brainstorm other ways I can use it in the classroom.

2 comments:

  1. Pat! This is really awesome. Wow. I had no idea you could do this kind of rendering with Google Sketch Up. You know we do have next week as well that we can continue on with this process, so as you experiment more, I'll bet you can get even more precise. It looks great what you have so far Pat. I'm really impressed. I don't know if I could have gotten as far as you have with this, it looks pretty 'learning curve' intensive. Have you shown Cliff this? I bet he would enjoy it as well. Great find here Pat, it's amazing!
    Z

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Pat - Isn't SketchUp great? One of my 8th graders last year did a complete model of our school to scale! He had so many details and noticed so many small things. I suggested that he could go around the building and take pictures of the classrooms and put them on the outside of the building so you could see inside the rooms. It was cool. He just did certain ones, which actually worked out better. He was so much fun to watch - so creative and adventurous. I'm so glad you had fun with it. Maybe a year from now we'll have time to play with all these great things. Great job!

    ReplyDelete