Thursday, October 21, 2010

PE5 The SketchUp Odyssey Continues

 Well, I created some pretty interesting shapes, but I have very little control yet over how things turn out. I get unexpected results with the push-pull tool.  Here I made some cones. They look kind of cool.




 On the other hand, I have no idea how I made the cones. I was trying to make a component that was a rod and then try to duplicate it. Fail.

I accidentally turned a rod into a cone. Hmmm, how did I do that?  I tried with a second rod, and after a few tries I also turned that into a cone, but I couldn't do the same thing with the third rod.
 I practiced using subtraction. This produced some interesting results. I used the push-pull tool from one direction and was able to go all the way through. Apparently, though, I need to do each layer going the other way because I've created separate surfaces.
 Ah, the cones. How the heck did I do that?  I watched the tutorial about components, but I must be missing something.
 I tried using the push-pull tool to make holes in circles. Why does it sometimes work, and go all the way through, and other times extrude the shape out the other side?
My husband has a degree in CAD. I'm just going to make him sit down with me this weekend and see if he can tell me what I am missing. This is all very nice, but I want to be able to control what I am doing and do things on purpose!  Still, the experimenting has some value. When I finally understand what it is I am missing, I think I'll be able to do some cool things.

No comments:

Post a Comment