Thursday, May 19, 2011

Week 3 Response to Zoe Marlowe

Photo by Patricia Ort, glass art by Dale Chihuly

Zoe-
They say the best way to teach is through stories – so, I guess the Zanders got it right when they chose to share their discoveries in this way.  I also treacted to the comment in the book about making a group lively and engaged. As you know, student engagement has been the focus of my ARP.  The answer to that question is not always easy to find!

Using the white sheet of paper would be a real paradigm shift in the classroom, wouldn’t it?  I mean, college level teachers are used to doing a survey at the end of their classes, but most of us don’t get that kind of feedback. I’m not sure most teachers are brave enough to try that.  It takes a shift in seeing what your role is.

Thanks for reminding me of that quote about change resulting from grabbing whatever you love and giving it everything.  I’d say you are doing that right now, yourself. You finished your bachelor’s, went straight into your masters –where you have been a high achiever – and now you have the possibility of publishing your book, speaking at a conference, and, of course, travelling to England and Turkey. Seems like this is advice no one needed to give you J

Perhaps I will take some inspiration from you (and the Zanders) and see where it leads!


Zoe wrote:
Once again, Ben and Roz Zander’s book filled my mind with all sorts of revelations about myself as I read the chapters 5 through 8. It was interesting really because chapter 5 was very ‘ground breaking’ for me to read, and then chapter 8 capped everything in-between off with it’s BTFI concept. This was all a bit ‘Von Restorff” for me as the first and last chapters stuck with me the most in this section of assigned reading. As I mentioned last week in my blog, this book is one of the most interesting ‘textbooks’ I have ever read. It really is just a collection of interesting stories told by Ben and Roz about the different happenings in both their lives as an orchestra conductor and music teacher, and psychologist, respectively. I am enjoying both of their stories so much as I read each chapter, in fact I really have a hard time stopping reading and going onto something else because I want to keep reading MORE!

In the “Leading from any chair” chapter, I loved the question Ben asked himself which made him become a much better instructor and conductor. This question “What makes a group lively and engaged?” is really a marvelous question for teachers to ask themselves. It made me think of teachers asking themselves this, because just asking the question would make that teacher much more open to finding out how their students respond to the teaching methodology that was currently being used, and what changes could be made to get the student interest higher, thus making them more lively and engaged.


I loved that Zander placed a sheet of paper on each music stand for the purpose of obtaining comments from the orchestra players. The ‘white sheet’ idea could be used in so many areas of teaching, in order to allow comments to the instructor. I think this method could be used in college courses anyway, not necessarily high school, but it could work there as well.


Another ‘take away’ from my reading of chapter five was a quote from one of Ben’s students at the school he teaches at: “Things change when you care enough to grab whatever you love, and give it everything.” Amanda Burr, student, Walnut Hill School.

What a lovely, insightful statement, and I can agree with it wholeheartedly.

Chapters 6 and 7 both had lots of interesting stories and wisdom, but perhaps chapter 8 sticks with me the most because of the BTFI concept, and the reason for this, is the fact that I am living proof of the BTFI factor in my own life because of choosing to complete this degree at Full Sail, and instead of locking myself into what I had originally planned to do after graduation, which was quickly get accepted into a PhD program, I decided to say “heck with that, I want to have fun and discover the world,” and now I am getting ready to embark upon the trip of a lifetime in Europe and the Middle East. I would never have done this ‘normally,’ but something changed in me as a result of this Master’s program at Full Sail, and with that, I let myself go and throw caution to the wind, and let my passion for photography and film (plus a few other factors) inspire me to take a whirlwind trip to discover what else is ‘out there’ for me to experience. I feel like this chapter of Zander’s book is dedicated to me and my transformation from who I was before Full Sail, to who I will be after Full Sail! Talk about everything just ‘falling into place”… oh my goodness more true words were never uttered!

No comments:

Post a Comment