Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Week3 Discussion: Reflection on Ch. 5-8 of The Art of Possibility

Photo by Patricia Ort
This is good timing for this book.  Since my co-worker is also reading the book, I have had the chance to talk about the Zander's ideas with her, as well blog about it.  The concept of dealing with negative feelings by sticking with them and using them as a form of exercise to enable us to be able to handle and rise above greater challenges we will face in the future was novel.  It was also empowering. A fellow teacher who was given a difficult assignment used to say, "It is what it is." Not quite the same thing, but the idea of acknowledging the way things are, then moving on made me think.  I wonder if my way of giving way to passion and getting out of a survival mind set would be to take the leap of leaving my current position and looking for an opportunity to work in a really creative environment that embraces the use of technology in education. 

If so, what would that be? What am I most passionate about? The book has made me ponder these questions.  I also have revisited the ideas in the book and challenged them.  What gives the Zanders the authority to make these claims? Why do they resonate with me and with my colleagues? Is it because we recognize the innate truth in them, or because we want them to be true?

I also appreciated the bit about not taking ones self so seriously. Funny, but good advice. The discussion of leading from every chair is relevant to me because there is a parallel to teaching. Enabling musicians to be their best is really a lot like enabling students to achieve academically. The idea of giving the students a chance to lead is appealing, too. I have done that from time to time, but certainly not enough. I was reminded to make a point of giving students more opportunities to "be the teacher."  I know they really like to do that and it builds up their self-confidence.

I am looking forward to reading the rest of the book.  It has certainly encouraged me and given me a lot to think about.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Pat,

    I think it’s pretty awesome that you and your co-worker are both reading the book, what an excellent idea you had to order extra copies. I too love the book because it is interesting and thought provoking to say the least. I agree with you about the empowerment of using the negative feelings. I never thought about this in these terms before but it makes sense. Acknowledging the ‘way things are’ is also a big discussion point in the book, and I’m glad you mentioned it because I think I neglected to but was definitely interested in that philosophy when thinking of my own life and decisions I’ve made. You are certainly at a huge crossroads right now Pat, with all the turmoil you are facing at your school of employment. I have listened to you talk about the issues you deal with there since practically the beginning of our creation of Team Digital Horizon in Month 2. I know it has been so hard for you to hold everything together as you and your co-workers get shuffled around hither, thither and yon, and you have done everything that was asked of you and more, which is more than most people would have endured. I think the Zander book is perfect timing for you as you state in the beginning of your post. I hope it continues to help you as you rethink what you want to do as a teacher, especially now that you are about to graduate with this really cool degree in Education, Media Design and Technology!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Pat –

    Staying with all of those uncomfortable feelings is certainly a challenge. A good friend of mine often tries to dig when she thinks I’m not dealing with something. She’s irritatingly persistent, but I’m equally good at end run tactics. It’s what keeps my shoulders in knots.

    If you were to start that perfect new job, you might be looking over your shoulder just waiting for something to happen. Your present situation is certainly frustrating. When you talk about taking yourself too seriously, I have to think about it again in my own situation. I’m not as bad as I used to be, but it’s often hard to lighten up with all that’s happening, or not happening, as the case may be.

    I think you’re so creative and have such a strong sense of humor, which keeps you from really taking yourself too seriously. I’m looking forward to finishing the book, too. It’s just so different and so enlightening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patricia it was great to see not just that you enjoyed the book – but that you then brought yourself to challenge what it said and the authors! Is it innate truth or a desire within us for it to be true? Truly a question to be asked and one that I’m not sure has an answer. I have always felt it is innate in each of us that we wish to be happy – in our job, our homes, our lives – and this book points out a different approach to how many pursue that desire. It may not be that the book presents any more truths to us that we didn’t already know – but instead shakes off the cobwebs that have creeped in and reminded us of those truths. It may very well be a case that we have become accepting of our routine and the book as reawakens us to the possibilities that surround us!

    I am waxing philosophical – sorry…lol – all I mean to say is that the answer to the question you posed might not be relevant. What matters is that it has awoken that spark of passion, the energy of possibility, and is helping you channel that back into your life!

    I concur with your thoughts and reflections on not taking ourselves to seriously as the Zanders presented it – it is a helpful reminder that as we go through the paperwork and tasks that fill part of our day to sit back, chuckle, and keep our passion and joy alive in our heart and bring it to what we do! Sorry – prattling on again – I’m glad you are enjoying and I also look forward to the message in the remainder of the book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Pat
    I think you are absolutely right in your assessment that teaching can be like “leading from another chair”. The teacher is like the conductor, and the students are the members of the orchestra. The teacher could be one of the greatest teachers in the world, but if he or she just stands at the front of the room and lectures, it will not have the same result as if they get their students invested in the process, by getting them involved and interacting with them. It is like we have often heard in the EMDT program, our Course Director’s often say something to the effect that they learn far more from us that we learn from them. I think there is absolute truth in that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So where is your passion taking you Pat? Are you considering a change in direction? A new career?

    After this incredible year you are certainly equipped with a new skill set and some pretty powerful ideas. I guess the first step is figuring out what you want and every step after that can be geared toward getting you there.

    Thanks for sharing Pat - It's nice to see you (and your colleagues) making such a connection to the reading.

    ReplyDelete